Air Con fan not working? 9 steps you can take when the air conditioner fan is not working
It can be annoying and uncomfortable when the fan on your air conditioner breaks down. There are a few actions you may take to investigate the issue, though, in the hopes of getting your AC working again. If the fan on your air conditioner isn’t working, follow these 9 steps:
- Thermostat settings should be checked: Ensure that the temperature is set lower than the ambient room temperature and that your thermostat is set to “cool.”
- Check the circuit breaker: The fan may stop working if the AC unit’s circuit breaker has tripped. To reset it, find the circuit breaker box and turn the switch to the “off” position before flipping it back to the “on” position.
- Examine the air filter: A clogged air filter might limit airflow and render the fan inoperative. If the air filter is clogged, replace it.
- Check the fan blade: Verify the fan blades to make sure they are not clogged or unclean, as this could stop the fan from operating. The blades should be cleared of any dirt or debris.
- Check the fan mtoor: The fan will cease spinning if the fan motor is not functioning, so make sure it is. The fan motor will require replacement by a technician.
- Check the belt: If the fan belt is damaged or loose, the fan may stop functioning. The belt will require replacement by a technician.
- Examine the capacitor: The fan motor’s ignition is controlled by the capacitor. The fan won’t turn on if it is broken. The capacitor will require replacement by a technician.
- Examine the control panel: The control board manages how the fan operates. The fan won’t turn on if it is broken. The control board needs to be replaced by a technician.
- Check the ductwork: Make sure the ductwork is not obstructed or leaking before continuing because doing so could prevent the fan from operating properly by limiting airflow.
It’s important to note that some of the steps above require technical skills and knowledge, so it’s recommended to call a professional technician if you are not sure what to do or if the issue persists. In general, regular maintenance on your air conditioning unit will help to prevent issues like this from happening in the future.
T&K Airpower has been working to keep homes and businesses comfortable and efficient for over 25 years. Is your air conditioner fan not working? Not sure when you air con was last serviced? Give us a call, and we will be more than happy to help.